Please find below information we hope will help you to enjoy your stay at the Riviera Hotel regardless of whether your life is affected in some way by a medical condition, disability or impairment.
Access for Less Mobile Guests
The Management and Staff of the Riviera Hotel recognise the difficulties of access to the hotel due to the age and structure of the building and have attempted to alleviate access issues for guests with mobility problems as far as is reasonably possible.
The hotel is split over two buildings, access to both buildings is via the reception at the top of the relatively steep car park. The car park is situated along the entire front length of the two buildings and reception is access via steps or a disabled ramp.
Unfortunately the nature and age of the building means that we cannot easily accommodate guests in wheelchairs, using mobility scooters or with limited mobility. There are a significant number of steps/stairs spread throughout the building due to the fact that the hotel is on a slope and therefore on numerous levels. There is one passenger lift which accesses some floors, and two stair lifts. Some rooms are a distance from reception and are not accessed via a lift and will require guests to use stairs.
We recognise that the Riviera Hotel is not the most suitable hotel for disabled and less mobile guests and as such, we feel that it is important that the inherent issues of the building are fully explained to the guest, importantly at the booking stage so they can make an appropriate decision whether to book their stay at the hotel.
The improvements made include:
- Handrails are present on all steps/stairs in communal areas on all stairwells.
- Making guests aware of the difficulties at the time of booking to ensure they can make a decision appropriately about booking at the hotel.
- Asking for suggestions from staff and guests about access issues and acting on any suggestions where practical and reasonable.
- A comprehensive Management Policy on Accessibility for the less mobile or disabled guest is available from the hotel which identifies the number of steps around the building and the issues that may affect your stay.
Prior to your arrival
- Enquiries and bookings may be made by telephone, email or fax or via our website and direct booking service
- Should you require a taxi we are happy to order this on your behalf. We use a reliable taxi firm based locally in Torquay, however, settlement of any fares must be done directly between our guests and the taxi company concerned. We have no account facilities for any taxi firms.
- We can provide details of suitable motorised wheelchairs, which can be delivered to the hotel for your stay, please however be aware of the difficulties highlighted above regarding use within the building. If a motorised scooter is required, we will be happy to provide a full copy of our Management Policy on Access Issues for the hotel.
- The hotel is located approximately 0.5 mile from Torquay Train Station - taxi cost is approximately £3/4 from the Station.
- Directions to the hotel may be found on our website - postcode for SatNav is TQ2 5HJ
Arrival and Departure
- Complimentary parking is available in our private car park - however the parking areas are at a different levels and require walking up the slope and at the front of the hotel.
- We are more than happy to assist with luggage and will collect it from your car and deliver it to your room if preferred. Similarly on departure luggage can be collected from your room, stored if required or delivered to your car.
- Access from the front of the hotel from the main parking area is via a slope and concrete steps or disabled ramp - there is a hand rail on the steps but not on the main slope and great care should be taken especially when wet.
- The main lounge areas and bedrooms are accessed from reception via carpeted stairs/steps - assistance can be provided with luggage to your room.
During your stay
- There are steps and stairs around the building and one passenger lift and two stair lifts. All our corridors are well lit and carpeted, and all steps have handrails.
- There is ample movable seating in both our Sports Bar, Show Bar, Reception and Restaurant areas and there are chairs available with and without arms.
- The Restaurant is buffet service for both breakfast and evening meals. Assistance can be provided if required.
- We do not have grab rails in the bathrooms.We have both baths and showers available.
- The Indoor Pool is located halfway along the north building on the 2nd floor. The indoor pool is 1.4m deep throughout.
- Fire Alarm - the fire alarm system is mainly an audible system - electronic siren. All bedrooms have smoke detectors and an audible alarm system. Assistance is given if evacuation is necessary. Please notify reception on arrival if assistance may be required.
- We do not accept pets at the hotel. Guide dogs are allowed in all public areas of the hotel.
- We are able to store medical products in a designated fridge - please advise Reception if you require storage of items. All items need to be clearly labelled and the contents identified.
We have tried to be as accurate as possible and have included as much detail as we can in our Access Statement. We welcome feedback to continuously improve the information we provide to assist our guests during their stay. If you have any queries or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01803 213232 as a member of our staff will be delighted to assist